Saturday, October 10, 2009
Saturday Morning Almond Waffles: gluten and grain-free!
I would never have guessed that these waffles were anything but yummy, perfectly browned, Saturday morning breakfast fare, had I not made them myself! The wonderful thing is that these waffles are gluten and grain-free, high-protein and just so good. I've been looking for a special breakfast treat that's high in protein and other nutrients, unlike store bought toaster waffles or the like, which are usually made with all refined ingredients.
Enter almond flour waffles; here is the general recipe I used, though I made this up as I went along, so feel free to be creative and improvise with what you have on hand, substituting part coconut flour, or other gluten-free flour, for part of the almonds.
Saturday Morning Almond Flour Waffles
1. Blend 3/4 lb blanched almonds in the food processor or vita-mix until it is a soft flour-like consistency (don't process too much or you'll end up with almond butter!).
2. Pour almond flour into large mixing bowl, add in 2 tsp baking powder.
3. Stir in 1/4 cup sucanat (or less) sugar.
4. In a separate bowl beat 4-5 pastured eggs until frothy and light, then gently mix into dry ingredients
5. Melt 1 stick organic butter over low heat, do not allow to burn. Cool butter to room temp, then mix into bowl with flour, sucanat and eggs.
6. Pour in approximately 3/4 cup whole milk from grass-fed cows. Stir to combine. The texture should be similar to regular pancake batter, if it is too thick add in a bit more milk.
Preheat waffle iron until very hot, brush both sides of iron with melted butter or coconut oil. Spoon 1/2 cup of batter onto iron and cook until quite brown.
Enjoy with a scoop of whole milk plain yogurt, fresh fruit, and a small drizzle of real maple syrup!
This post is apart of > Gnowfglins Tuesday Twister Carnival, come join in the real food fun and inspiration!
I am also sharing this post for > Food Renegade's Fight Back Friday, where real food lovers gather to share how they are being food renegades themselves!